Sponsorships can go really right or really wrong—and we’re here to help your law firm get it right. It’s far more than just a logo splashed on a jersey or a website. The most successful sponsorships are built on relationships and shared values.
Seriously, the ROI for local engagement is much higher than most lawyers realize. When paired with local press coverage and strategic content creation, sponsoring a local event can even help with your SEO efforts.
No matter your area of practice, you can find an appropriate sponsorship opportunity and reap the benefits of local engagement. Here’s how.
Here are the top benefits of local engagement for law firms
The return on investment for local engagement can be extremely high. It’s relatively easy to find a local event to sponsor, and the brand exposure and community connections you’ll earn are well worth the cost of admission.
Strategic local sponsorship can help firms maximize visibility and cultivate a positive brand perception among potential clients and referral sources.
- Demonstrate commitment to community and philanthropic spirit
- Establish valuable partnerships with local businesses to increase referrals
- Create lasting impressions among potential clients and community influencers
Remember that marketing is all about getting your brand in front of the right audience. Your local reputation has a big impact on your ability to get hired. Without ever taking on an actual case, local sponsorship can position your firm as a trusted community leader. Plus, you can feel good about investing in your community. Win win!
Examples of sponsorship opportunities
Don’t feel the need to reinvent the wheel! Sponsorship is about giving a boost to a local initiative and then riding their coattails. You’re just supporting a group that’s already working hard.
Sponsorship ideas for lawyers:
- Local sports teams (adult or kids)
- Farmers markets
- Toy drive
- School supply drive
- 5k races
- Volunteer trash clean-up days
- Community auctions
- Other grassroots events
Start by checking your local bar association guidelines to understand its rules around things like giveaways and sponsorships.
Next, ask the organization whether they would prefer money, time, or materials. Some organizations simply need an injection of cash, others need human power. When reaching out, law firms should highlight their commitment to the local community and the value they can bring as sponsors.
Then, agree on how you’ll be showcased as a sponsor. Your logo could be emblazoned on the back of jerseys, on a banner, on a gift package for participants, or on the event program and website. You could even ask to speak at the kickoff event—or throw out the first pitch at a game.
How to pick the right sponsor opportunities
Exposure is good, but smart exposure is better.
If you need some guidance on identifying a suitable organization for your law firm, here’s how we identify a smart sponsorship opportunity:
- People: The event participants reflect the firm’s target audience.
- Topic: The event’s topic or values align with the firm’s brand values.
- Impact: The sponsorship relationship would be mutually beneficial.
Here’s an example. Say you’re a personal injury law firm focused on car accident injuries. Which is a better fit, a Little League sponsorship or volunteer community clean-up day?
Option 1: Little League:
- People: Kids and their families
- Topic: Competition, support local talent
- Impact: New jerseys for the team and brand exposure
Option 2: Community clean-up day:
- People: Active civic-minded locals
- Topic: Safe streets, take care of each other
- Impact: Improve quality of life on city sidewalks
In this case, the community clean-up day seems better aligned with this firm’s target audience, values, and impact. There’s potential for an ongoing relationship based on mutual priorities (safety on the streets) and, for the price of coffee and doughnuts, the ROI could be quite high.
Ready to reach out? Keep it simple when reaching out about sponsorship opportunities. Try one of these templates:
- We have been following your organization’s incredible work within our community and would like to express our interest in becoming a sponsor. We believe that together, we can amplify your results and positively impact more people. Can we join forces?
- I am reaching out on behalf of our law firm to explore the possibility of a sponsorship partnership. We admire the work you do and would be thrilled to support your efforts. Let’s chat!
- At our law firm, we firmly believe in supporting local organizations that make a real difference. Your organization’s commitment to [community cause] aligns perfectly with our values, and we would like to explore a potential sponsorship partnership.
- Our law firm shares a common vision for community empowerment, and we would love to contribute to your cause through a sponsorship collaboration. Let’s explore the possibilities!
How to get the most mileage out of your investment
To maximize the impact of local engagement and sponsorships, law firms can employ several strategies.
Firstly, press releases play a crucial role in garnering attention and generating local SEO mentions. By crafting compelling press releases with newsworthy angles, law firms can attract media coverage and build valuable backlinks for improved search engine rankings. It can be helpful to foster relationships with local journalists and publications to increase the chances of coverage.
Secondly, leveraging social media platforms allows firms to broadcast their engagement and continue building a relationship with the local community. With the permission of participants, capture photos or videos of the event and share them to your firm’s social channels.
Finally, consider collaborating with a legal marketing agency to streamline everything, ensuring coordinated coverage and maximizing your exposure.
Review and next steps
Take a break from chasing the Google rankings and meet your neighbors. Investing in your local community can yield major fruit. A smart sponsorship opportunity aligns with your audience, your values, and your goals.
If you know that marketing is key to growing your law firm—but you’re not getting the results you want—consider working with a marketing agency. Speak with Omnizant about how to maximize your visibility with strategic, on-budget investments like local sponsorships.